The Process of Skin Tightening With Lasers
For thin, loose skin, there is really one method that significantly tightens the skin best - laser skin tightening. This procedure not only tightens, it also noticeably reduces wrinkles. You've heard of aesthetic lasers, but do you understand what is involved in the process?
How does a laser tighten skin?
By using a specific wavelength of light, a skin tightening laser can focus it's energy on an area to contract the skin to tighten it. That light-based energy also heats the deeper layer of skin to stimulate both elastin and collagen production to fill in thin skin pockets. This method is not considered surgical, though it does use a medical quality laser device.
While you may find cosmetic lasers for sale, know that they are only available for use by certified trained technicians and medical personal and not intended for the common consumer to use. They are safe in the hands of those who are trained to know what settings to use and what to avoid to keep from harming patients.
Preparing for a laser skin-tightening procedure
In order to get the best results from a skin tightening treatment, you need to make sure your skin is ready. If the skin is in great condition, it will react better to the laser procedure:
- Limit your exposure to the sun in the weeks leading up to the treatment. If you do go out in the sun, wear an SPF 45 or stronger to protect your skin from sun damage. Long, loose clothing will also help.
- Avoid serums or skin tightening creams in advance of treatment as it may cause a reaction to the treatment itself.
- Make sure skin is clean and clear of any skin products, such as perfumes, lotions, or oils on the day of treatment.
Follow-up care of your skin
Remember that how you treat your skin after your procedure is also important:
- Continue to limit exposure to the sun for no less than two months. The best thing you can do for your skin is to make that a regular habit, as it dries out and causes noticeable damage to your skin.
- Keep your skin moisturized. Drink plenty of fluids and moisturize your skin daily so it can heal faster.
- Use a cold compress or ice pack for any swelling or redness that may occur.
- Don't pick at the skin or rub it as it will irritate the treated area
How long before you can see results?
Certain results are noticeable soon, if not immediately after the treatment. Sagging skin will have contracted during the procedure, so you should see that improvement right away. Since collagen is stimulated during the process, it can continue to be produced for as much as six months after the treatment date.
What are the side effects?
Some people experience mild side effects such as slight flushing of the skin in the treated area, limited swelling, and a burning sensation. These symptoms usually last only an hour, but can last for a day. Cold compresses help reduce the side effects and make you feel more comfortable.
How long is the recovery time?
Since laser skin tightening is a non-invasive treatment and not a surgery, there is little to no downtime. You can return to most of your usual routine the same day. Sunbathing and activities that expose you to the sun should be avoided. Otherwise, you can go right back to work or your normal activity right after the treatment.