Winter is Coming // Natural Skincare Haul
For a long time now, I am SLS free for hair (talking like a recovering addict here!).
Now, I want to go petrochemicals/mineral oil/silicone free. It is an extremely difficult goal, but I will try to achieve as much as I can.
To begin with, I have decided to replace most body creams and lotions with oils (as much as I can and also when I am not traveling). After I had discovered how great oils work for skin (read more), I wanted to include more oils for the body. I was using Palmer's oil, but I needed richer and better oils. So, I was desperately waiting for winters to come so that I could buy all things that I wanted. I am glad that finally...winter is coming.
Read on to see what natural/organic skincare that I am adding to my regime. I shopped all these in 2 days and picked some online.
My first stop was Khadi store (Dakshinapan, Shop no G95-G97, Dhakuria, Kolkata). I picked up a 100% pure Almond Oil (not sure if this is cold pressed or organic), Herbal face pack with neem and a Honey Soap (not in this picture)
My main intention was to buy the Bringraj oil sold by Khadi so that I could compare it with the Kama Ayurveda one. I luckily found one from the Meghdot brand (I love the yellow cap shampoo from this brand) so, purchased it instead of the Khadi Mauri one. I will purchase the Khadi one after a month of using this to make a proper comparison. (Khadi stores sells many brands which are produced by various small scale, cottage industries, government setup at various places in India to generate employment in rural area. Mauri, Meghdot and others are such establishments which produce more or less similar products with some difference in packaging and ingredients)
- Khadi Mauri Almond Oil - Rs 495 for 250ml
- Khadi Meghdoot Bringraj - Rs 95 for 200ml
- Khadi Mauri Herbal Face Pack with Neem - Rs 95 for 50ml
- Khadi Mauri Honey Soap - Rs 75 for 125gm
|Kama Ayurvedic Shopping Haul - Sesame Oil, Nalpamaradi Thailam, Almond Coconut Lip Balm, Jwalini, Orange, Sweet Basil Essential Oil|
My next stop - Kama Ayurveda (First Floor, Quest Mall, Kolkata). As I had already purchased the Almond Oil, I picked the Sesame Oil (organic, cold pressed) from here. I also picked up Nalpamaradi Thailam (which I think is the poor girl's Kumkumadi Thailam but more on that when I review it. I have very interesting thoughts about this fellow. LOL) I tried the Almond lip balm at the store but said no to myself because I already have too many lip balms to finish. But, it smells so yummy that I went back to the store again to pick it up. Nothing haunts more than things you didn't buy!
And I went to the store last Friday to get the orange essential oil. I tried few others and left the store. A little bit of basil essential oil touched my index finger. The mild and natural smell of basil consumed me and I could not even shop at the other stores! I had to go back to pick the Sweet Basil Essential Oil as well.
I complained the store's manager - "I must stop trying things at your store. I always have to come back in an hour to buy it - not good for pocket"
He laughed and replied - "We are going to increase a lot of products next year. Now we have around 150 SKU, and it will increase to more than 250."
Me - Jaw. Meet floor. Floor. Jaw.
- Kama Ayurveda Organic Sesame Oil - Rs 450 for 200ml
- Kama Ayurveda Nalpamaradi Thailam - Rs 475 for 100ml
- Kama Ayurveda Almond Coconut Lip Balm - Rs 395 for 5gm
- Kama Ayurveda Orange Essential Oil - Rs 350 for 12 ml
- Kama Ayurveda Sweet Basil Essential Oil - Rs 350 for 12 ml
|FabIndia - Ylang Ylang Perfume Oil and Lemongrass Essential Oil.|
Picked just two things from FabIndia - Ylang Ylang Perfume Oil and Lemongrass Essential Oil.
- FabIndia Ylang Ylang Perfume Oil - Rs 200 for 9ml
- FabIndia Lemongrass Essential Oil - Rs 300 for 10ml
One of the sweetest readers of this blog - Sanghati - who emailed me her opinions after most of my blog post / Instagram update (Thank You XOXO), read the review of Kama Rose Water and informed me about this brand - Oilcraft. Oilcraft manufactures steam distilled rose water using roses from Kannauj, just like Kama Ayurveda but priced at the almost half at Rs 400 for 200ml.
My Kama rose water was over, and I had to try this. I got overexcited and ordered all these from Jabong.com (They delivered five packages separately in 3 days!).
Also, I was thinking of avoiding the use of alcohol toners during winter because my skin has become dry again. I wish to replace them with face mists. Let's see how that works...
- Oilcraft Naturals Premium Panchpusp Water - Rs 400 for 200ml
- Oilcraft Naturals Premium Mogra Water - Rs 400 for 200ml
- Oilcraft Naturals Premium Rose Water - Rs 400 for 200ml
- Oilcraft Naturals Yashodhara Kannauj Rose & Honey Soap - Rs 200 for 125g
- Oilcraft Naturals Apsara Odisha Tuberose Soap - Rs 200 for 125g
|The Body Shop Shopping Haul - Nutriganics Drops of Youth, Eye Concentrate, Wild Argan Oil Radiant Oil, Massage Soap, Tea Tree Oil|
Some new launches from The Body Shop
- The Body Shop Nutriganics Drops of Youth - Rs 2895 for 30ml *
- The Body Shop Drops of Youth Eye Concentrate - Rs 1995 for 10ml *
- The Body Shop Wild Argan Oil Radiant Oil for Body & Hair - Rs 1795 for 125ml *
- The Body Shop Wild Argan Oil Massage Soap - Rs 350 for 150g *
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil - Rs 595 for 10ml
Apple Cider Vinger is the best after hair wash rinse. I love how it works for my scalp and hair. This is my second bottle.
So, this is it. I am using most for more than a week now. I will soon so a post on my exact skincare routine now as this huge list can confuse anyone! Even I took 3-4 days to figure out when to use what to get the best of it *wink*
Please let me know your thoughts and let me know if you need to know about anything.
Any review that you wish to see first? Please comment below.
PS - Products marked with an asterisk are press samples.